More than 400 artists live and work in Somerville. And this weekend they’re opening their doors to the public to show off what they’ve created at the 16th Somerville Open Studios. The event–one of my favorites all year–takes place on Saturday and Sunday, May 3 and 4, from noon-6 p.m. at various locations throughout the city.
While the studio openings don’t take place until the weekend, you can kick things off early with the Beyond the Pattern Fashion Show on Thursday, May 1 at 7 p.m. at the Arts at the Armory (191 Highland Ave.). Doors open at 6 p.m. for the free show, which features women’s clothing, jewelry and the work of students in the Somerville High School Fashion Club.
If you can’t wait to get started taking in all of Somerville Open Studios’ amazing art, you can get a jump on things on Friday night. Some artists are opening their doors a night early from 6 p.m.-9 p.m. to kick off the weekend.
On Saturday and Sunday, all of the studio doors will be flung open and visitors can stop by from noon-6p.m. to check out the work of Somerville artists. I’ve done it all–from the big studio buildings like Vernon Street to the home studios dotting the city–and recommend seeing as much as you can.
Make sure you pick up a Somerville Open Studios booklet (available at artist-made stands throughout the city). It contains a list of all the artists participating in the weekend, a handy pull-out map and lots of helpful hints.
I’ve attended several Somerville Open Studios and learned a lot along the way. Here’s my advice for making the most of the weekend:
- Pick an area of the city and see as much as you can within that space. Accept that you cannot see everything and you’ll enjoy the event more if you don’t try to cram it all in.
- Wear comfortable shoes. Bring sunscreen or an umbrella, depending on the weather.
- Take lots of breaks at Somerville’s awesome restaurants, cafes and bars to rehydrate and refuel.
- Be prepared to buy something if you really love it.
- Take time to chat with the artists and others you see walking around–this is such a fun community-building weekend.
See you out there!